This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #KefirCreations #CollectiveBias
There are few things that complete a summer barbecue better than a fresh, cold and creamy salad. Whether it be of the pasta variety or a coleslaw loaded with creamy cabbage and veggies, there’s nothing better than that light, fresh taste after you devour a big juicy burger or steak hot off the grill. There’s one salad, that I personally crave whenever summer rolls around. The tangy, cool cucumber taste of creamy cucumber salad is something I’ll always want on a hot summer day. Delish! My mouth’s watering just thinking about it. The only downside of all of these creamier salads, is the amount of calories it can tack onto your meal. I have a simple solution for you. The tart and creamy taste of Lifeway Kefir! This cuts down on the amount of sour cream you use and in turn lowers the amount of calories! (And the probiotics are certainly a bonus!)
1. 1 cup of Plain Lifeway Kefir
2. 2 large cucumbers
3. 1 cup sour cream
4. 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
5. 1/4 Red onion
6. Juice from 1/2 lemon
7. 3 sprigs of dill
8. Dash of pepper
1. Use peeler to remove skin from cucumbers and cut cucumber into thin slices. Slice red onion into thin slices.
2. Mix Plain Lifeway Kefir, sour cream, white vinegar, lemon juice, pepper, and dill in a large mixing bowl and then mix in the cucumbers and red onion slices.
3. Toss the cucumbers and red onions until liberally coated with mixture.
4. Refrigerate for 1-3 hours to let the flavors marinate.
Mmmm! So, so good. It’s the perfect salad to bring to a last minute barbecue or the perfect side dish to add a little refreshing summer flavor to your lunch or dinner!
Side note: The smell of dill reminds me of my great grandma. The aroma of dill frequently filled her kitchen while she was canning anything and everything under the sun. But she most frequently canned the most amazing sweet and dill pickles ever. The smell of dill just seemed to linger even after the canning was done. It’s become one of my most favorite smells because of it!
Now the only question is, what other creamy summer salads can we make healthier with plain Lifeway Kefir? I think I’ll be trying this healthier swap with macaroni salad next!