I’m sure at some point you’ve heard the saying, “The grass is always greener where you water it.” Isn’t that the truth? I firmly believe that you can spend an outrageous amount of time dwelling on how things could be this way or that and how your neighbor or your friend’s life appears to be so much better than your own. We all have our own struggles and we all have our own triumphs. That’s just life.
I’ll be the first to admit I’m not 100% happy with where we are in our life right now. I know that’s probably not the best thing in the world to say right after Cory and I got married, but it’s the truth. It’s a difficult season for us. We’re living at his dad’s house while we finish up our house in Minnesota and get it ready to put on the market. That’s proved to be quite the difficult task combined with wedding planning and that horrible thing called “getting water in our basement and ruining all of our progress.”
It’s just not ideal. No one wants to move back in with their parents, but doing so is saving us so much money. We’re able to save a lot of money by not renting while we wait for our home to sell and the fact that his dad opened up his home to us makes me so thankful.
The one thing that’s getting me through this more difficult season in our lives, though, is reminding myself of all the things that we are so lucky to have and the things that I’m so thankful for. I’m trying so very hard not to dwell on the things that could be better, but rather celebrate the things that are making us happy right now in this moment.
I’m going to start writing out my happy list as much as I can. It really helps to remind me of all the beautiful things going on in my life right now + lightens my mood a bit. Here are some things that have been making me happy this past week… just to name a few!
My Happy List
1. Coconut sparkling water — oh my yum.
2. When Alea says, “Mommy, you’re a good nurse!”
3. Being a married woman now. (What!?)
4. My new tribal print camera strap from iMo!. Because an aztec obsession should always be encouraged.
5. Anything and everything yellow. To me, there’s nothing happier than the color yellow.
6. A shiny new MacBook Pro to call my own. I’ve wanted a MacBook since I got my first Dell in 2008. It’s been a long, long time coming. It’s also the first “big” thing I’ve bought for myself since starting my first big-girl job!
7. My new Nike kicks for work. I’d love to say that “these shoes are totally going to make me start running again,” but alas, no running going on here. They do make me quicker during doctors rounds at work though. *winks*
8. Remembering our wedding reception. I wish someone would’ve gotten Cory + I dancing to “Marry You” by Chris Brown on video, because it’s in my top 3 favorite moments from our wedding!
9. New blank notebooks. Look away environmentalists and tree huggers, but I rarely finish a notebook because a new, fresh one is just so much more inspiring to me.
10. When a resident specifically asks to see me when I’m on my break. Nothing makes me eat my lunch faster!
The more you focus on those moments that make you happy and the less you dwell on the things that “could be better”, the happier you will become. That’s what I’ve discovered as of late, anyways.
It’s really a beautiful thing.
What’s on your happy list this week?