This post is sponsored by Lyve and the Linqia Community. All opinions are my own.
One of the things I absolutely love about blogging is that it’s opened up my eyes to a whole new hobby. I don’t think I would’ve ever bought my first DSLR if it weren’t for this little ol’ blog of mine. I don’t think I would’ve found that passion that I feel when I take photos of Alea or the excitement I feel when I place my eye behind my camera. I just love it. I still consider myself quite the newbie in the photography world and I know that I have so, so much to learn, but that’s the fun part about photography. You’re always learning and you’re always evolving.
That being said, I’m sure we’ve all made these silly little mistakes when it comes to our photography. It’s realizing that + finding a way to change it that helps make us a better photographer!
001. Using the Wrong Aperture: This is the mistake I’ve been kicking myself for most recently. I shoot in manual mode 95% of the time. I love having the ability to control every little aspect of my photos and I’ve gotten pretty darn good at it– if I do say so myself. However, I’ve noticed recently I’ve been misusing the aperture. Not all photos require a low aperture. If you’re unfamiliar, aperture is essentially what gives photos that milky, blurry background or “bokeh”. Not all photos require that though. If you’re taking a photo from above of, say, a collection of products, you don’t need the extra blur. You want all of those things in focus. And for that, you need a higher aperture setting. Yep, it’s silly things like that I kick myself for!
002. Not Backing-Up my Photos: This in my opinion is the biggest mistake of all. We have all of Alea’s photos backed-up, but I haven’t backed up photos in years. It’s horrible really. And I’ve even had a couple of scares (like spilling a glass of water on my laptop) and still haven’t learned. Roll your eyes, but I’m almost positive I’m not the only one! That’s where LyveHome comes in handy! (More on this below!)
003. Not Watching my Horizon Line: This is something I’ve corrected recently, but something that drives me absolutely crazy now that I’ve noticed it. Photos where the photographer clearly does not maintain the horizon line drive me absolutely batty! It’s such a simple fix. Find a line + stick to it!
004. Shooting in JPEG: When I got my new camera, the Canon T3, I was a little annoyed with the color and composition of my photos. I wasn’t getting exactly what I wanted even though I was shooting on manual (and have since I first got my Canon XS). Grab your camera’s manual and learn how to set your camera to RAW. It will literally change the way your photos look and the amount of editing you have to do. When your camera saves in JPEG it loses some of the quality and nobody wants that!
I’ve finally started backing-up my photos more and I can just feel my anxiety go down. It’s really incredible how easy my LyveHome makes it, too. You simply download the Lyve app on your phone and on your computer and voila! You’re then able to back-up your photos and you can feel free to delete from your hard drive and from your phone. There’s nothing like going to take a photo on your iPhone only to realize your memory’s full! I hate when that happens!
The LyveHome also has a slot for you to slip in your SD card and upload your photos straight from your camera. It can store up to 2TB of photos and videos! Incredible, right? They’ve thought of everything! Not only is this cube fabulous for storing memories, it’s also cute enough to be a decorative piece and a conversation starter. I love how modern it looks sitting on our night stand and we can lay there watching our wedding photos and photos of our little Alea scroll by as we fall asleep at night.
Lyve and I would love to help you keep your memories safe, as well, and I’d love to send you your very own LyveHome! Trust me, this gadget is truly a must-have if you want to keep your beautiful photos, videos and priceless family memories safe!
How to Enter:
1. Visit Lyve and leave a comment here about what you’re most looking forward to about this little gadget!
2. Tweet the following message: “This @LyveMinds gadget looks amazing! And @sunnysprinkle wants to give YOU one! I want to win! http://bit.ly/1qmyYNf” (daily entry)
3. Visit Lyve and check out the video! (daily entry)
4. Like Sunny with a Chance of Sprinkles on Facebook.
5. Like Lyve on Facebook.
6. Follow me on Twitter.
7. Follow Lyve on Twitter.
8. Follow me on Pinterest.
9. Follow me on Instagram.
10. Follow me on Bloglovin.
11. Repin this image on Pinterest.
Let me know what you’ve done in the comments below + I’ll pick a winner on 9/3. I will contact the winner via e-mail and get in touch with you about how I will be sending you your very own LyveHome!
Interested in some of my other photography posts? You can check them out here: