This post is sponsored by Kohls. All opinions are my own.
The other day, I was completely and utterly surprised when I looked out of my bedroom window. I was cozy and warm in my bed and Alea had just come into snuggle me and wake me up. Mainly the latter of course! But anyways, just the day before we heard that where we previously lived in Minnesota had gotten 14″ of snow. I about fell off my chair when I heard the total and then breathed a sigh of relief when Cory told me that he heard that the storm was going to miss us. So you can imagine my surprise when I looked out my window to quite a healthy dusting of snow. I’m not mathematician, but I’d definitely say at least 2-3 inches.
That’s not nothing though, my friends. He said missed not 2-3 inches.
Anyways, my mind immediately drifted to the to-do list that I was hoping to accomplish that day. One of those things being, going for a walk while Alea was in preschool. A good healthy power walk outside. Yeah… I’m not a completely against the snow, but when it comes to being outside for too long in the cold and the snow, I’m just not a fan.
There’s so many ways to keep active, though, in the winter time.
001. Walk indoors. No, this isn’t just a sport for our older folks, you too can be a mall walker! I mean it in the nicest way possible and to be perfectly honest, I’ve always wanted to be one of them. Work up a sweat without getting cold in the freezing cold temps this winter. It’s nothing short of genius.
002. Can you say Jillian Michaels? Girlfriend knows how to work you out, that’s for sure. I did the 30 Day Shred a couple of years ago and I was absolutely amazed by the results. It’s truly a workout and a darn good one at that!
003. Yoga. My best friend just became a yoga instructor and I’m sure she’ll be so proud of me for suggesting her favorite work out. Put those yoga pants to good use for once!
004. Do you want to build a snowman? All Frozen songs aside, get outside with your littles and build a snowman! It’s a great work out trudging through the snow and you can always use some of those calories you burned towards a steaming hot cup of hot cocoa afterwards!
005. Living room dance party. These are the best. You’d be surprised how tiring it can be dancing– like really dancing with all of your heart and soul for a 3 and a half minute song. It’s quite the workout and it doesn’t get much more fun than dancing!
006. Get a gym membership. I know it costs money and not everyone can afford a gym membership, but if you’re dedicated to a healthy lifestyle, it just might be worth it to you. This opens up the possibilities to weight lifting equipment, treadmills, elipticals, you name it, and will help mix-up your work out routine.
007. Winter sports. Do you ice skate, ski, snowboard or snowshoe? These are all amazing workouts that you only have access to this time of year. Get out there and enjoy them!
008. Deep clean your house. You’d be amazed at how many calories you can burn scrubbing your floors, vacuuming, and even just picking up after your husband and kids. The best part is? If your house is anything like mine, it’ll always need cleaning and you’ll always have access to a great work out!
009. Go sledding. Going down the hill is the fun part, but walking up the hill with sled in hand is where all the work is. Go up and down the hill a couple of times in all of your snow gear with the resistance of the snow under your heavy boots and you’ve got quite a few calories burned!
010. Have a snowball fight. Work that upper body and get some serious giggles out of your little ones by starting a snowball fight when they least expect it. Fun will be had by all and chasing your kids down and throwing all those snowballs will leave everyone equally exhausted!
Still need that extra push to stay active? A little bribery goes a long way. I suggest purchasing yourself a special new workout outfit from Kohls! They have the cutest workout gear right now and it’s the perfect time of year to stock up. I don’t know about you, but I tend to inhale a little too many servings of mashed potatoes and gravy around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Why wait until spring to try and shed all the weight you accumulated during the winter months? Keep focused on your fitness goals now so you don’t have so much work to do later.
Right now I’m loving these fleece lined leggings, this Nike fleece hoodie and this New Balance running t-shirt from the activewear section at Kohls. Their work-out clothes selection is so incredibly diverse. You’ll have plenty of pieces to choose from and to swoon after. I have my eye on these pretty Asics running shoes right now! They’ve got to be mine!
How do you stay active in the winter months?