Sometimes it’s not easy to be appreciative of all the things you have in life. I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve been guilty of “feeling sorry for myself” a little more often than not as of recently. It’s not easy living with your father-in-law and not having your own space and it’s certainly not easy not knowing when our house 216 miles away is going to sell. We’re living in a land of limbo at the present moment, but that doesn’t mean I can’t take the time to step back and remember how lucky we are.
A lot of people in our situation might not have a father-in-law kind enough to let them
take over move into his house. For that I’m so, so grateful. We would be in a totally different situation financially if we would have to pay our mortgage and pay rent. We have a free roof over our heads and that in and of itself is such a blessing.
Both Cory and I have good jobs and I’m so thankful for the opportunity for both of us to work outside of the home and support our little family. I’m even more thankful for the opportunity to work in a field that I’ve dreamed of working in for years. I’m so thankful for my education and the opportunity to work as a registered nurse. I worked so hard to get to this point. It’s not always easy, but more often than not my job brings me great joy and my sweet residents put a smile on my face!
We have a sweet little girl who’s crazy smart, adorable, and completely healthy. Aside from the occasional set of
Aside from putting food on the table, having money in our pocketbooks and a warm, inviting roof over our heads, we also have a lot of other things to be thankful for in our lives. Thanksgiving may be over, but that’s no reason to not continue a little thankfulness into the holiday season. Sometimes it’s the little things, you know?
001. A Messy Fridge: It used to drive me crazy to see magnets scattered about on the fridge and yes I was that person who obsessively organized the pictures and magnets that were on our fridge. But now? Now a messy, alphabet magnet filled fridge means that my little Alea was busy learning, playing, and using her imagination. And now all those colorful letters and numbers just make me smile.
002. Crest 3D White Luxe Supreme FlexFit Whitestrips: I smile… a lot. I try and smile even more when I’m at work around the holidays because I know some of my resident’s don’t get to see their family members as much as they would like. Just a little extra smile and quality time with them can go a long way and make them feel even more special! However, along with smiling a lot as a nurse, I drink a lot of coffee as well! That doesn’t make for the brightest, whitest smile… that’s for sure. That’s why I’m so thankful for these Crest 3D White Luxe Supreme FlexFit Whitestrips! I don’t have the time or the money for professional whitening treatments, but I definitely have time for 1 hour of Whitestrips wear! Wouldn’t these make the perfect stocking stuffer? It’ll brighten the smile of all of those folks on your Christmas list this year! You can also get $7 off your purchase of Crest 3D White Luxe Supreme FlexFit Whitestrips at Target.com: http://clvr.li/1vwTKSS. That’s a pretty darn good deal if you ask me!
003. My Knitting Loom: I’m so excited to make scarves for some of the lucky folks on my Christmas list this year. Every year I try and make at least a few gifts on my Christmas list. I have oodles and oodles of yarn stocked up for this occasion and I’m hoping to get a few more extra long, chunky cowls made for family! I hope they love them as much as I love making them.
004. A Kitchen Table Desk: I have dreams of having my own home office complete with a beautiful white desk, baskets to organize all of my pens and trinkets in and just a place to call my own and a place where I can blog from. That dream is certainly off in the distance on the horizon right now, but I’m completely embracing my kitchen table desk right now. It allows me plenty of room to sprawl out, drink coffee, write in my planner, blog to my hearts content and I get to be right in the middle of all the action at the same time. And I’m just within a few feet of my little Alea playing with her magnets on the fridge!
005. Lazy Days: Don’t get me wrong. I absolutely love my job and I love keeping busy at work, but sometimes it’s just nice to have a day off. This past weekend I had five days off thanks to Thanksgiving and a sweet friend at work who was willing to work Black Friday for me. It was exactly what I needed to rejuvenate my soul and the rest and relaxation I needed to keep me from completely losing my mind. If you have the chance, take an extra day or two off and you’ll know exactly what I mean!
See what I mean? There’s so much to be happy and thankful for. Sometimes it’s so easy to slip into that “woe is me” slump, but that makes it even more important for us to really sit back, take a look around at all the things we have to be thankful for. I’m truly in awe at all that we’ve been blessed with this past year and know in my heart that our house will sell, we won’t be living with our sweet father-in-law forever and
What’s making you smile this week?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.