This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SimplyHealthy #CollectiveBias
If you were to ask me what my favorite food was, I’d probably tell you that it’s a toss-up between mashed potatoes and gravy and my dad’s chili. I have to admit, my dad makes the very best chili. I’m always asking him to make it for me when we’re back in Minnesota and he usually manages to make some for me to freeze at least once a year. I love that! This year, however I thought I’d try my hand and creating my own unique chili recipe. I was recently inspired by Sam’s Club‘s Healthy Living Sweet Potato Chili recipe. So inspired, in fact, that I thought it would be fun to add a few things and make this recipe my own.
I found this delicious Sweet Potato Chili recipe on the Sam’s Club Healthy Living Made Simple App. It’s available on iPhone and iPad devices. You can also find healthier alternatives to many traditional holiday foods here.
001. 1 tablespoon olive oil
002. 1 medium onion, chopped
003. 2 teaspoons chili powder
004. 1 cup canned vegetable broth
005. 1 can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
006. 8 oz. pinto beans, drained
007. 8 oz. chili-flavored black beans, drained
008. ½ can corn, drained
009. 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
010. 1 grated orange peel
011. 1lb. ground turkey, browned
012. 1 cup kale, finely chopped
I found all of these ingredients easily at my local Sam’s Club!
I added ground turkey, kale and chili-flavored black beans to this recipe to make it my own!
001. Brown ground turkey in medium sauce pan over medium-high heat.
002. Add olive oil and then add onion and sauté with ground turkey until golden brown. Add chili powder and stir for 1 minute.
003. Add broth and sweet potatoes to crock-pot and cover. Set to high.
004. Add tomatoes with juices and pinto and black beans. Then add the corn and kale. Cook on high in crock-pot until sweet potatoes are tender and flavor is combined throughout. Approximately 4-6 hours.
005. Mix in orange peel and Italian seasoning. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
I love me some Sweet Potato Chili now. I would have never thought to add sweet potatoes to my chili, if it weren’t for this recipe and I have to say, it’s quite delicious! I love the extra lean protein that the ground turkey adds and you can hardly taste the kale that I added to get more greens and fiber in my diet.
I’ll be saving the leftovers from this yummy pot of chili and portioning them out into smaller containers so I can bring it to work for lunch. Not only will I save some money by not ordering out, but I’ll also be eating much healthier that way!
What are your favorite ingredients to add to your chili recipe?