This post is part of the SPLENDA® Brand Sweet Life blogger program by McNeil Nutritionals, LLC. and The Motherhood, who sent me products and compensated me for my time. Opinions, experiences and photos shared here are my own, and I hope you enjoy them.
When some think of spring, they immediately think of flowers, jumping in rain puddles and all things sunshine, right? Well, not me. One of the first things that comes to mind when I think spring is carrot cake! Can you say yum! It’s one of my favorite desserts and it’s really not spring until I’ve had a slice.
I remember the very first time I had carrot cake. I was little, so I immediately turned my nose up at the thought of putting carrots in a cake. What a cruel joke. How could these crazy adults think that putting carrots in a cake would be a good idea? Thankfully I wasn’t as picky as my little Alea was when I was younger and I was usually up for trying new foods. I gave it a try and it’s been true love ever since. Thanks Grandma J for introducing me to such a wonderful dessert!
1. 3/8 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
2. 7/8 cup all-purpose flour
3. 1 teaspoon baking powder
4. 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
5. 1/2 teaspoon salt
6. 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
7. 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
8. 2 large egg whites
9. 3 tablespoons margarine
10. 1/2 cup honey
11. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
12. 2 1/4 cups finely shredded carrot
13. 1/3 cup walnuts
14. 3 tablespoons canola oil
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
1. 1 brick of cream cheese
2. 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
3. 1/4 cup butter, softened
4. 1/2 tsp vanilla
5. 1/2 cup powdered sugar
6. 1/2 cup SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Whisk together baking powder, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and all spice in a medium mixing bowl.
2. In large bowl beat SPLENDA® Granulated Sweetener, 3 tablespoons margarine, honey, vanilla, and canola oil. Mix in egg whites, stir until well mixed. Stir in flour mixture.
3. Chop up carrots and walnuts in a food processor. Add to mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
4. Pour mixture into a rectangular cake pan and bake for 40-45 minutes. Allow to cool.
5. While cake is baking, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, vanilla, powdered sugar, and SPLENDA® No Calorie Sweetener Granulated to create cream cheese frosting. When cake has cooled, frost and serve.
There’s nothing better than a slice of carrot cake to commemorate spring time. Bring these bars to your Easter celebrations and I bet you’ll be the talk of the party– hands down. And if you run into anyone who turns up their nose at the thought of putting carrots in a cake, please do them a favor and encourage them to give it a try. Bring them to the dark side. It’s so delicious here!
Looking for more spring recipes and other scrumptious recipe inspiration? Check out SPLENDA® Sweet Swaps! And if you’re anything like me, you’re going to bookmark all of the recipes and want to make them all immediately.
And for the record, when I mentioned trying a “carrot cake bar” to Alea, she immediately turned up her nose and said, “CARROT cake?” Oh my sweet child… if she only knew. Instead of trying to persuade, I just shrugged my shoulders and decided that only means more carrot cake bars for me!
Interested in learning more about SPLENDA®? Join us for the Twitter party on 3/31/15 at 1pm EST. Just follow the #SweetSwaps hashtag to track the conversation and we can chat as well! Just RSVP here to qualify for lots of fun and exciting prizes!
What’s your favorite spring dessert?