Are you tired of me professing my love for everything salted caramel yet? I sure hope not, because I’m not ready to be done doing it. Salted caramel is the one flavor that I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to get enough of. It truly compliments every type of dessert—I’m serious. And especially Rice Krispies treats. Oh my stars. I can’t even handle the deliciousness that this recipe has brought me.
Next time you stock up on your Rice Krispies treats, grab yourself the ingredients needed for this homemade salted caramel sauce and steal yourself a moment or two to really savor how delicious this truly is.
1. 2 cups white sugar
2. 1 cup heavy cream
3. 1 tbsp course sea salt
4. 12 tbsp butter
5. Rice Krispies Treats (don’t forget this crucial element– I bought mine at Walmart!)
1. Put 2 cups of white sugar in an even layer at the bottom of a sauce pan on medium-high heat.
2. Whisk the sugar while it begins to melt and continue to do so until the sugar has become an amber color.
3. Once the sugar has melted and turned amber, add the butter. Be careful! This will cause the sugar to bubble up and foam. Whisk together to combine until the butter is melted.
4. Next, remove the pan from the heat source and pour in the heavy cream—this will cause it to bubble up as well, so be careful!
5. Whisk to combine the cream with the caramel mixture.
6. Remove from heat and let cool for at least 10-15 minutes.
Then you can drizzle this salted caramel sauce over your Rice Krispies Treats and enjoy. I can’t even begin to tell you how delicious this turned out! I may even be nibbling on one right now as I write this post!
This is the kind of salted caramel sauce that you’ll have to hide somewhere in your refrigerator if you want it to hang around longer than a couple of days. No joke. You’ll have plenty left over from drizzling over your Rice Krispies Treats, so you can also use it with your ice cream, make your own yummy latte drinks, use it as a dip for apple slices, you name it! There are so many possibilities!
You can also join + be part of the Rice Krispies action by entering your Rice Krispies Kreations for the chance to win some fabulous prizes. All you have to do is upload your photo to Twitter, Instagram or Pinterest with the hashtag #RKTreatSweeps and e-mail a link to your social share to RKTweetSweaps@kellogg.com. Simple as that! This contest will run from 3/24/2015 through 5/3/2015. For full rules and details check them out here on their contest page.
How would you dress-up your Rice Krispies treats?