Just ask Cory, I’m not a very spontaneous person… at all. It takes a lot for me to say “okay, let’s just go” without a plan or a destination in mind. That just doesn’t happen. I’m very much a planner and I like to know what we’re going to do and when we’re going to do it. It’s just how I’m wired, I guess. Cory’s always been the complete opposite though. He’s the kind of person who could just drive to the airport, buy a plane ticket and go. Just the thought of doing that gives me heart palpitations!
Needless to say, no, we did not hop a flight to Bora Bora or anything outrageous like that, but we did have a spontaneous Saturday last weekend and it was one for the books. It was so much fun to just go-go-go and not worry about anything else. It felt so good to be spontaneous and not worry about having a plan or even what time it was.
Here’s a little peak at our Spontaneous Saturday in list format, of course. Gotta bring some sort of organization to our spur-of-the-moment day, right?
1. We went to the park at the elementary school Alea will be attending for KINDERGARTEN in the fall. Oh my stars, I can’t believe I just said that. It’s officially her favorite park and the view from the park is breath-taking. I love our small, quaint little town we live in!
2. Alea braved the fireman’s pole for the very first time! She was scared out of her wits, but after sliding down the first time, she wanted to do it again and again and again! She certainly gets her bravery from her dad, but I’m thankful that she’s still slightly cautious like her mommy.
3. A quick-stop at the gas station for Starbucks Refreshers and Alea’s favorite, gatorade. If you haven’t tried the Starbucks Refresher Blueberry Acai flavor yet, you need to. Now.
4. Cory brought me to a beautiful lake that I didn’t even know existed. Lakes are my love language and nothing brings my soul to life, like a beautiful lake with a beautiful view. It brings me back to summers at my great-grandma’s house and I just feel “at home.” I know we’ll be frequenting this lake often this summer– even if it is man-made.
5. Alea had fun picking rocks and throwing them into the lake and Cory had fun showing off his rock-skipping skills. I just kicked back and relaxed on the dock while I watched the two loves of my life giggle-snort and smile.
6. Alea said something about wanting to go swimming… so Cory thought he’d help her out by pretending to toss her in. Remember when I said I’m more of a cautious person? Yeah, that freaked me out!
7. After we left the lake, we drove around seeking out land that we just might want to build our future house on. Talk about inspiring. We found a few places that fit our wish list, but we’ll see if we make any final decisions.
8. I told Alea that if we drove around just a little bit longer, that Alea would fall asleep. Sure enough, she was out like a light a few minutes later.
9. We drove to Cory’s mom’s house and surprised her with a visit!
10. After that, we headed home and whipped up some dinner.
Do I see myself hopping a random flight on a random day to a random location anytime soon? No. Absolutely not. But I’m all for baby steps. A spontaneous Saturday one week and maybe a spontaneous road trip the next, but we’ll have to work up to anything crazier than that!
Are you a spontaneous person or do you prefer to plan things out?
What’s the most spontaneous thing you’ve done recently?