I never used to like getting my picture taken. I think that’s something that comes about as we age. It’s awkward, you know? I mean do you bring on the cheese and smile your biggest smile? What do you do with your arms? Do they go on your hips? To your sides? There’s so many thoughts and questions that go into getting your picture taken that it can be a little overwhelming at times.
I have to admit, I’ve slightly gotten over these silly little photo taking fears, but I still wonder how some style bloggers do it. I mean seriously? I envy all their relaxed poses and all of their perfectly candid smiles. If only I could have the same easy-going attitude when it comes to taking photos.
1. Take a deep breath and relax. It is nerve-wracking. I totally get it, but you’re getting your just getting your photo taken, it’s not like you’re the president of the United States giving a State of the Union address. Right?
2. Laugh a little. You’re not going to have any fun if you just stand their all serious. Don’t take yourself too seriously and laugh—it’ll help take care of those nerves, too.
3. Know your angles. Don’t lie. You’ve stood in front of your mirror and thrown around a couple of poses. You know how to stand to make your curves show in just the right way. You know how to angle your hips to make them look just a little bit narrower. Think about this while you’re posing in front of the camera as well! Work your angles. Know your good side!
4. Find clothes, shoes and accessories you feel comfortable in. This is huge. If you’re not feeling confident in an outfit or you don’t like the way it looks or feels on your body than you’re not going to display confidence in your photos. Find an outfit that makes you look and feel good, too. For more inspiration check out Famous Footwear’s #ohsofamous gallery. I love my Birkenstocks that I found at Famous Footwear!
5. Find inspiration. Luckily for us bloggers, we have tons of awesome women around the blog-o-sphere that make up the fashion blogger community. They have photos and outfit ideas galore to help you gather ideas for outfits and even learn a thing or two about posting. I mean I’m sure we’ve all gushed over a fashion blogger’s outfit at one point or another, right? If you need an example, then you’ve got to check out Shanna’s blog. She’s always been one of my favorites!
I’m no model by any means, but sometimes it is just plain fun to be silly and have your photo taken. It doesn’t hurt, too, when your husband’s behind the camera telling you you’re beautiful! So don’t be afraid. I know it’s all cozy and comfortable behind that camera, but you’ve got to hop in front of it every once in a while, too, right?
What tips do you have for getting your photo taken?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.