We’re huge pizza lovers in this house. While Alea is all about the plain cheese, Cory and I love to experiment with different toppings and more often than not our pizzas have a whole mess of toppings on them! The more the merrier and “garbage” pizza is definitely what we prefer! One afternoon, we decided to try our hand at grilling our homemade pizza and I gotta tell ya, I can’t believe we haven’t done that before! It turned out perfectly crisp (we love thin crust) and with all the fixings we piled on top, it was very flavorful as well.
If you can make a standard homemade pizza in the oven, you can make a homemade grilled pizza, too. The only difference is you obviously make it on a grill instead of in the oven, and you have to alter the cook time accordingly so you don’t come out with crust that’s burnt to a crisp!
How to Grill a Pizza:
1. Some say you should assemble your pizza after you have cooked the crust/dough on the grill for a few minutes. Well, we cheat and use pre-made dough, so we skipped this step. If you choose to use homemade pizza dough, I would recommend cooking it on the grill for 2-3 minutes and THEN adding your sauce, toppings, and cheese.
2. Select a not-too-thin crust. You want a little extra padding in your crust to prevent any accidental burning that could occur with the flames of the grill.
3. Once you have the toppings on your pizza, place your crust on tin foil and gently lower the pizza on the tin foil onto your grill. The foil will help to distribute the heat a little more evenly across the crust.
4. Close the lid to the grill and let your pizza cook for approximately 3-5min checking frequently.
5. Once the edges of the pizza are turning golden brown and looking nice and crisp, it’s about time to slide that pizza off the grill (while still on the foil) and onto a cutting board or pan.
6. Cut and serve warm. (And be prepared for your family to request that every pizza there after should be grilled. 😉 Can’t say I didn’t warn ya!
If ever you make your pizza in the oven in the middle of summer again after this, you’re simply crazy. What better way to keep your home cooler and enjoy this delicious family favorite during the warm summer months!
Have you ever made grilled pizza before?
What are your favorite pizza toppings?